About Community Posts
In order to promote community participation, open debate, and facilitate the sharing of fitness-related news, Active Life DC allows members of the local fitness community to contribute posts. We do not vet these posts, and the opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Active Life DC. More information can be found in our Terms of Service. For information on how you can submit a post, visit this page.
Second Annual Fitness Collaboration Offers Washingtonians Free Fitness Opportunities to “Light Up the District” to Achieve Their 2019 Resolutions with Exercise and Nutrition Strategies
Washington, DC — DC is gearing up for a healthy glow in the New Year. In an effort to encourage active, healthy lifestyles for the second year in a row, VIDA Fitness is partnering with the Department of Parks and Recreation and Mayor Bowser’s #FITDC to spearhead a citywide ‘Light Up the District’ campaign. Beginning in January 2019 and continuing into the summer, VIDA Fitness and #FITDC will provide Washingtonians with free, various opportunities to revive their physical and mental wellbeing. This endeavor is a continuation of last year’s partnership with VIDA Fitness and #FITDC’s public awareness program.
This year’s initiative extends even further to emphasize the personal fitness journey of each and every DC resident, which will be illustrated by VIDA Fitness’ Glow Chart – an electronic meter of DC residents who are engaging in physical activity. Free workouts, classes and seminars are opportunities for the public to light up the Glow Chart infographic, while defining their individual commitment to fitness.
Ways to get involved in the Light Up the District campaign include:
- Glow Chart: VIDA Fitness will launch a map of DC. Every time an individual commits to getting fit, the chart will glow brighter, reflecting the citywide effort.
- Glow Contract: DC residents participating in the Light Up the District campaign are also encouraged to log their own fitness activities and highlights, which will be reflected on the chart.
- Glow Run: On January 7 and January 29 at 6:30 p.m., runners of all levels can join Pacers Running at their Logan Circle and Navy Yard locations for free, fun runs around the neighborhood.
Weekly Goal Setting Seminars: VIDA Fitness certified professionals with years of experience in both the nutrition and exercise fields will conduct seminars to encourage DC residents to stay on track. Seminars are free and open to the public.
- VIDA’s Logan Circle location on Saturday, January 19 at 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Gallery Place location on Sunday, January 20 at 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Navy Yard location on Saturday, January 19 at 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Weekly Glow Classes: Every Friday beginning on January 4, each VIDA location will host Glow classes that are free and open to the public. True to the Light Up the District theme, VIDA Fitness will supply neon accessories are guests encouraged to wear neon apparel and attend these special black light glow-in-the-dark classes:
- Yoga class on Friday, January 4 at 5:30 p.m. (VIDA’s Navy Yard location)
- Cycle class on Friday, January 11 at 6:00 p.m. (VIDA’s City Vista location)
- Barbell blast class on Friday, January 18 at 5:30 p.m. (VIDA’s Gallery Place location)
- HIIT class on Friday, January 25 at 5:30 p.m. (VIDA’s Logan Circle location)
- Zumba class on Friday, February 1 at 5:45 p.m. (VIDA’s U Street location)
- Glow Swag: Beginning January 1, all new VIDA Fitness members will receive limited edition glow-in-the-dark VIDA Fitness t-shirts.
“We are proud of our ongoing partnership with VIDA Fitness, and applaud their commitment to the #FITDC initiative,” says Mayor Muriel Bowser. “All residents are encouraged to do their part in the new year to help the District Glow, as we find our fit, in 2019!”
Light Up the District is an extension of 2018’s Take Back #1 campaign, the quest to make DC the number one fittest city in America. This annual ranking is awarded by the American College of Sports Medicine. Washington, DC held the number one title for three consecutive years, but moved to number two in 2017 and number four in 2018. The overall objective of the campaign is to engage DC residents with a variety of incentives featuring the latest in physical fitness and nutrition education.
For more information on VIDA Fitness and the Light Up the District campaign, please visit https://vidafitness.com/lightup.
# # #
#FITDC is the health and wellness initiative launched by Mayor Muriel Bowser in the Spring of 2015. The initiative encourages District residents to live a healthier lifestyle by providing access to physical fitness and nutrition resources in the District, for free. FY19 #FITDC offerings will be a combination of ongoing boutique-style fitness classes, including high-intensity interval training, low-intensity interval training, cycling and boot camps taught by the city’s top instructors and trainers. Through #FITDC, residents will also have the opportunity to participate in signature fitness events each month throughout the city. Signature events will include 5K walks/runs, bike rides, strength training competitions, environmentally conscious exercise, an aqua event, and a fitness crawl through some of the District’s most popular, and often costly workouts.
About VIDA Fitness
At VIDA Fitness, we are here to make your life better! We do this by creating uniquely designed and laid out spaces, providing industry leading facilities and programming, hiring and retaining the best fitness professionals to support you in achieving your goals, and creating a community where people of shared values can make meaningful personal connections. VIDA signature classes provide fun, innovative ways to work out that constantly evolve to provide new challenges. Complete with Aura Spa, Bang Salon, Fuel Bar, Gear Shop, luxurious locker rooms, and signature Endless Pools, VIDA caters to every aspect of their members’ lives. Founded in 2006, VIDA now has five convenient locations in Washington DC ranging from 30,000 to 60,000 square feet. For additional information on VIDA Fitness, please access the website at: www.vidafitness.com or follow on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vidafitness.