About Community Posts
In order to promote community participation, open debate, and facilitate the sharing of fitness-related news, Active Life DC allows members of the local fitness community to contribute posts. We do not vet these posts, and the opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Active Life DC. More information can be found in our Terms of Service. For information on how you can submit a post, visit this page.
Complimentary Month-long Wellness Initiative Offering Washingtonians Access and Opportunities to Reach Nutrition, Mindfulness and Fitness Goals
***Free Weekly Bootcamps Open to the Public Every Wednesday Evening Starting August 8***
WASHINGTON, D.C. – August may mark the start of back to school season, but that’s no reason to start winding down this summer! In an effort to help Washingtonians live their best lives, VIDA Fitness is launching the VIDA Glow Up Challenge, an online, month-long initiative to help DCites achieve their nutrition, mindfulness and fitness goals. Starting August 6, participants will have access to a full month of recipes, grocery lists, mindful exercises, workouts, free classes that aide in overall wellness. VIDA Fitness’ registered dietitian Addie Claire, yoga instructor Chris Parkison, and fitness instructor Shawn Morris will serve as the Glow Up experts and offer diet and exercise advice and support along the way. The VIDA Glow Up Challenge is free and open to the public.
The VIDA Glow Up Challenge focuses on helping Washingtonians look and feel their best – both on the outside and inside. The month-long challenge includes the following components:
- Nutrition: The old saying is true – “abs are made in the kitchen.” Fueling the body and embracing healthy eating habits are a critical part of the Glow Up Challenge. VIDA Fitness’s registered dietitian Addie Claire will provide recipes and grocery list items for participants to try. Addie Claire’s quick, healthy recipes include sweet potato egg bake, maple Dijon chicken, seared tuna stir fry and more
- Mindfulness: A healthy mind matters just as much as a sound and healthy body. VIDA Fitness yoga instructor Chris Parkison will teach exercises, meditation tips and breathing techniques to help participants better their minds. During the Glow Up Challenge, Chris Parkison will focus on a different theme each week and assign exercises that aide in promoting positive mental health and achieving inner peace. Themes include gratitude, patience, compassion and forgiveness.
- Fitness: The measure of health and fitness does not lie only in the number of pounds you lose – it is also about consistent, steady growth and progress. VIDA Fitness instructor Shawn Morris has curated the Glow Up Challenge fitness program to revolve around progress-fitness training. Throughout the month, Morris will provide participants with guided, modifiable workout plans that demonstrate correct form and gradually increase work capacity and strength. Shawn Morris’s workout plans range from stretching and heart rate activities used in warm-ups and cool-downs to full-body free weight circuit training and body weight strength, suspension trainer and plyometric circuit training.
- Weekly personal assessments: Every week participants can track their progress with personal assessments and goal worksheets. VIDA Fitness will ask challengers to try a “max out” plank, a test to see how long they can stay in a plank position each week. Additionally, challengers will be asked weekly to do burpees for a full minute and count how many they can do within the minute.
- Events: Each VIDA Fitness location will host an event during the Glow Up Challenge. VIDA Fitness-Gallery Place will host a free, public bootcamp class every Wednesday at 6 p.m., led by VIDA instructor Katie Cosper. The first bootcamp will take place on Wednesday, August 8.
- Community: An important part of living your best life is feeling supported from your community. To keep participants motivated, accountable and encouraged during the Glow Up Challenge, Addie Claire, Chris Parkison and Shawn Morris will offer tips and tricks along the way. A private Facebook Glow Up Challenge group will be available so challengers can connect with other participants, report their progress and interact with the Glow Up experts.
To register for the VIDA Glow Up Challenge, please visit: http://www.vidafitness.com/vidachallenge.